Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Woman riding bike on Norbeck Road

My mom and I often see people walking, jogging, and biking on Norbeck Road.  I used to do the same when I was a teenager, but after several close calls with passing vehicles, I wisely decided that it was safer to walk and bike thorugh people's front yards, back yards, and on an unpaved wooded goat trail to get to my destinations. 

I've been doing this for the last 14 years while hoping that the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) would do something.  Alas, it is almost 2012 and still no safety improvements have been made.  Do we have to wait till 2025, 2030, 2035, before SHA finally does something?  I certainly hope not!   

Often, the pedestrians, joggers, and bicyclists have to jump out onto the grass because cars are passing by too closely and there simply isn't enough room for both vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists in the road. 

The SHA could address this safety hazard by widening Norbeck Road with ample shoulders, bike lanes, and a separate pedestrian/bike path. 

Check out these five short clips of a woman riding her bike on Norbeck Road.  I apologize for the amateur quality of these vidoes as we are learning how to use our new iPhones.

Imagine how much more pleasant and safe it would be if this woman could ride her bike on a dedicated and separate pedestrian/bike path and not have to worry about vehicles potentially striking her, not to mention getting whipped around by the wind turbulence of passing vehicles.   


More videos of the woman biking on Norbeck Road available after the jump:











No comments:

Post a Comment